Saturday, December 19, 2009

Gift card holder, my version

I needed to make a gift card holder for our neighborhood gift we're giving to the kids' bus driver. After looking at various "fancier" designs online, and even trying out a couple of them, I ended up making a very simple gift card holder that's the same size as an A2 card. I know that I made some of these a couple years ago, but it doesn't look like I blogged about them and I don't even remember if I got the idea from someone else or came up with it myself. So if this was your idea or you know where it came from, please tell me!

I also made this for the SCS inspiration challenge, and from all the fun designs at FabulousStationary I chose this holiday card. I really loved the colors and design. I used as my colors bordering blue, real red, basic black and whisper white.

First let me give you a mini tutorial on how I made this gift card holder. I cut a piece of cardstock 5.5" x 11" and then scored at 4.25" from one end and 2.5" from the other end. This gives you the standard-size card front and a flap to hold the gift card on the inside. To make the pocket on the inside, I placed the gift card where I thought it looked good and then adhered sticky strip around the outside edge and around the gift card. When you fold the shorter flap up, you get a perfectly sized pocket to put the gift card into.

Here's a photo of the inside. Of course you could decorate the inside much more than this, but I wanted to leave room for all of us to write a message.

Now back to the front of the card. I stamped and embossed the background with the leaf image from Always, using red cardstock and Versamark/clear EP. The rest of the images come from Berry Christmas. For the blue image panel I stamped the branch in Versamark and embossed with black EP, and the berries were stamped with white craft ink and embossed with clear EP. I did the bird separately on red - I did try at first to cut this little bird out but I gave up! It's just really tricky. So I went with punches instead. The sentiment is from Papertrey Ink and the ribbon and button from JoAnn's.

I hope our bus driver likes her gift - we have sure appreciated being able to count on her to get our kids to school safely!

2 comments:

SamieVt said...

I adore your version! Beautiful work!

Silke Ledlow said...

This gift card holder is beautiful - Lori!!! I know the bus driver is gonna love it....I know I would :)!!! Hugs ~S~