Saturday, April 17, 2010

Butterfly Moments

Welcome to another Saturday and another challenge from Our Creative Corner! This month's hostess, Dana Grothaus, has a fun challenge for us: use butterflies on your card or project. I confess I've never been especially drawn to butterfly images, but I think my opinion might be changing now that I have the fun butterfly dies for the Big Shot.

On this card I wanted to use one of my preordered stamp sets from the summer mini, and I thought Elements of Style would look pretty with butterflies. I went hunting for a sketch challenge and came across this week's Viva la Verve challenge. It seemed like a great sketch and it also had an inspiration component with three different living room photos. The first one called out "Baja Breeze!" to me and I was off and running. (I'm sure I'm not alone in being beyond thrilled that this color is coming back!)

OK, the card. I first stamped the rose image to make a toile-inspired background with Baja Breeze. I also sponged the edges then added a black layer with a super-skinny border - I had never tried a 1/16" border before but I love it. The center panel uses the damask image from Friends 24-7 (rock and rolled with Baja Breeze and Basic Black) and the "inspire create share" text stamp from Charming (stamped off once) with more sponged edges. I followed the sketch and used a strip of 5/8" black grosgrain ribbon down the center. The sentiment comes from Elements of Style and was oval punched, then layered over one of the cutout shapes from the Matchbox die. My butterflies are made with A Walk in the Park DP and basic black cardstock, and the Beautiful Butterflies and Beautiful Wings dies. I added white pearls from the Pretties Kit in the centers. I did have to move my butterfly off-center because of the size of my elements, but I can't seem to do a sketch without fiddling with some element of it, LOL!

I'm really loving this card - the new stamps are wonderful and I'm just so happy to be using Baja Breeze again. I'm also happy that I got a new light tent and finally had a chance to set it up. The original one I had purchased on eBay was driving me crazy, so I decided to upgrade and so far I definitely think it was worth it.

OK, that's it from me. Make sure you go see what all the other talented OCC ladies have to show you today, and then get out your butterflies and play along! Have a wonderful weekend!

13 comments:

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

So pretty! I love your butterfly and your R&R technique!!

LorettaL said...

Your card is SO ELEGANT!!

Joycelyn Pelkey said...

Such a striking color combo...perfect in every way!!! Gorgeous, Lori!!

Silke Ledlow said...

Simply gorgeous Lori!!! Love the big butterflies and the colors!!! Hugs ~S~

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Your card is just gorgeous!! Love the colors you chose (blue seems to be my color of choice this week) and the butterfly is perfect. Those pearls are very yummy and really make the butterfly pop!

Unknown said...

Awesome card! I love the that color combo. So calming. I like that you used a large and small butterfly. Looks great!!!

Deborah March said...

SO beautiful! The colour combination is just perfect!

Diane Gilbert said...

Lori this card is awesome!!! I love the colors and the layout with the butterflies.....perfect!! Love the pearls you added to the butterflies too!

Julie Leblanc said...

THis is really gorgeous. Tfs!

Sarah Gough said...

Ohhhh this is STUNNING. Yup, I'm so happy with Baja too! This colour combo is a classic and I just love that big butterfly!

kitchen tables said...

I love the pretty butterfly you put in the card!

Firenze said...

Oh Lori the card just blows me away! I'm (almost) speechless! TFS
Helen -- Firenze Cards

Firenze said...

Oh Lori the card just blows me away! I'm (almost) speechless! TFS
Helen -- Firenze Cards