Thursday, May 26, 2011

Something new?

Today I'm showing you the technique card we did at my club. I wanted to do an embossing resist technique and I came up with a variation I hadn't seen before - but I don't want to claim that I created something new unless you guys tell me I did! So let me know what you think - is this a new idea, and if by some chance it is, what should I call it? I will say that as I predicted, this card was hard to capture in a photo. IRL it looks really cool, if I do say so myself!

I first took glossy card stock and embossed the foliage image from Fabulous Florets with black craft ink and EP. (Don't forget your embossing buddy!) Next I mixed Poppy Parade reinker with champagne shimmer paint. Using a foam brush, I brushed it over the whole image, then used a paper towel to buff the whole thing. Finally, for more depth of color I brushed another coat of the ink/paint mixture on top and let it dry. I wanted to see the brush strokes - kind of like lacquer, maybe? - so I made sure all the strokes went the same direction and the color was even. With this second coat make sure you don't use too much ink or the brush strokes will disappear as it dries. This will also take a while to dry - in retrospect, probably too long for club unless we had taken the heat gun to it. My gals ended up taking the embossed panel home separately to put the whole thing together later. Once the panel is completely dry, the very final step is to buff it with a clean paper towel, just to make sure no ink is left on the black embossing.

OK, now for the finishing touches - I embossed three flowers with gold EP on black card stock and cut them out. The sentiment from Happy Greetings is also gold embossed. To stick with the gold I used gold card stock as a layer, and two gold brads in each corner give the card just a bit more elegance and shine. Since I featured some brads as my only embellishments, I'm entering this in the Pals Paper Arts brad challenge.

Thanks for stopping by my blog - I hope you'll play around with this technique and tell me what you think. I'd love to see the variations you come up with!

7 comments:

Colorado Crafter said...

Gorgeous card! Would love to see it in person, so may just have to try this one myself. I love the emboss-resist technique and I'm no expert, but have never seen our twist on it... so I think you have something new.

Colorado Crafter said...

Sorry... meant "your" twist on it!

Kathy said...

I love this card --I think it would be fabulous doing autumn too.

Linda Callahan said...

Beautiful effect! Very classy card!

Anonymous said...

Lori--this is a real WOW! Love the colors--looks really rich!
Many Hugs!

Sharon Wheet said...

Love the card! It all looks very elegant and classy! TFS

Melanie C said...

Love your card. Great job with the embossing and color scheme. Thank you for playing along with Pals Paper Arts.