Saturday, March 9, 2013

Copper Patina

Well, we've had another snowy week... hard to believe it's Saturday again already. This week's Our Creative Corner challenge is another fun one from Meihsia Liu. She gave us this photo as inspiration and required at least one metal embellishment.


I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do with this one, so I started looking at sketches and decided to use the latest from Freshly Made Sketches. (Hope I didn't tinker with it too much!) Here is my card:



I wanted to try some sponging to see if I could achieve that cool patina look. I knew I had (non-SU) copper embossing powder lying around, and the Fresh Vintage stamp set from last year's SAB jumped out at me. Over the embossed images (on vanilla card stock) I sponged Tempting Turquoise and a tiny bit of Bermuda Bay, then I used Cajun Craze on the edges of the squares (and likewise on all the rest of the panels). I also used the distressing tool to rough up all the edges. I liked the idea of the bright blue accent (the rhinestones on the top of the candle holder) so I brought that into my card with rhinestones colored with a Sharpie and Pacific Point card stock. The background is Cajun Craze embossed with the vintage wallpaper folder, then Pool Party (which is basically the color my sponging ended up being) and Pacific Point on a vanilla card base. For the metal I pulled out my ancient box of Hodgepodge Hardware - I have a whole bunch of it left, LOL. The frame looked kind of bare stuck on by itself so I added some Pool Party ribbon behind it. The sentiment is from Teeny Tiny Wishes. I'm not sure what I think of this one - I liked it better without the sentiment, I think. Maybe I will have to revisit this idea sometime...

I hope you will play along with our challenge this week - it made me think outside the box, which is good! The rest of the team have gorgeous creations for you to see, so don't miss those also. Have a great weekend and cross your fingers that spring is coming soon!


3 comments:

Jen Timko said...

This is lovely! The colors are wonderful and I love how you used the sketch. Glad you joined us this week at FMS!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty card and a fun technique! Thanks for joining us at FMS this week.

Lili said...

Such a great card Lori! I love your interpretation of the challenge. I really like your color combo.
Hugs ;)