Monday, August 6, 2007

Pajama Time

I've been wanting to make a card for my dear friend Beth ever since last week, when her daughter Hazel was born 6 weeks early at only 2 lbs 9 oz. She's a beautiful baby and she looks like a fighter to me, so I think she's going to do just fine.

Finally tonight I got my inspiration - of all places, from Sarah's PJs. We were playing and suddenly I just looked at her shirt and realized how cute a card that would make. I didn't really have hearts, but I did have flowers, so I went with that as a theme.

The first thing I made was actually the elephant, which I did several days ago when I was playing around with some new techniques. This was done with kissing, which is where you ink a solid stamp with a light color, then use a smaller stamp (here, the flower) in a darker color and stamp directly onto the larger stamp. Then when you stamp on the paper you get both colors. I knew I wanted to use it for Hazel's card, but I wasn't sure exactly what to do with it. The elephant and flower are from Wild About You from Stampin' Up.

I cut the elephant out and set aside, then cut the two large pink panels to size. I chose my two Prima flowers and added A Muse rhinestone stickers to the centers. On a dark pink scrap I laid out the rub-on letters (from American Crafts), including the flower for the O, then trimmed to size and layered on a lighter pink panel. Next I added the stem, which is done with another rub-on (I think it's DCWV), affixed the pink flower, and mounted the elephant with dimensionals. Finally I decided the border needed something else, so I put the DCWV rub-on stitching around the outer edge, and mounted everything to a white card. I think it turned out really cute, and I hope Beth loves it. It was really fun making a card for her precious little girl.

It's been a tough week for babies, with Hazel's early arrival and the news that my future niece or nephew has some kind of heart defect. My brother is supposed to find out tomorrow more about what is going on. It's really been on my mind a lot - most likely this is the last baby coming in my family, and the thought of something being wrong has shaken all of us.

No comments: