Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Inspiration Challenge #29: Simplicity photo


A couple days ago I came across an old calendar I had with photos by Deborah Dewit Marchant. I have loved her photo calendars for a few years, although I haven't had one in a while. Unfortunately I wasn't having much luck finding her photography online, so the photo here is taken of the calendar page. I mostly gravitated toward this photo for the challenge because I loved the colors - and that was before I realized it would work with some of the new In Colors I just got yesterday!

I chose the new colors tangerine tango and baja breeze, along with chocolate chip, so saffron and very vanilla. The layout is today's SCS sketch challenge. It's a very nice layout to work with, although I struggled with it for some reason!

I started out by stamping the magnolia from Embrace Life in chocolate chip on vanilla cardstock. (Notice the magnolia tree in the photo? It's one of my favorite flowers.) Then using my ink pad and reinker I colored in the flowers in tangerine with a blender pen. I cut layers of chocolate chip and baja breeze cardstock, then edged all three with chocolate chip.
For the strip I took the journaling stamp from Live Your Dream and turned it so the lines were vertical. Using the Stamp-a-ma-jig, I stamped a series of pinstripes in chocolate chip on a vanilla strip, and then in between those lines I stamped more stripes in baja breeze. I layered this onto chocolate chip and tangerine cardstock (again edged with chocolate chip). All of this went onto a saffron card that I stamped with the linen background in saffron ink.

One item that came in yesterday's shipment was the aged copper hodgepodge hardware. I hadn't bought any before but since it's 20% off and about to retire, and I love copper, I decided to go for it. I stamped the sentiment from Short & Sweet onto tangerine cardstock with chocolate chip and put it inside a small oval frame. I mounted this with pop-up glue dots. To bring in a little more yellow, I tied a knot of apricot grosgrain ribbon (it's a very close match to saffron) onto a spiral clip and added that at the top.

Come play along with the challenge - I'd love to see your creations! The SCS keyword this week is DSIC29. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: