Thursday, September 16, 2010

Divine Diva Inspiration Challenge #36

Welcome to this week's challenge! I have a book cover for you - I'm not much of a gardener but I did like the cover art. Give it a try for your inspiration and join us!

I took a sort of free approach to the colors for this one - I made a list of the basic colors (blue, purple, yellow/orange) and picked the shades I liked best together. I disregarded the dark green border and pulled out Basic Black, Whisper White, Daffodil Delight, Rich Razzleberry, Baja Breeze and Not Quite Navy. Whew, that's a lot of colors! The layout is from the sketch challenge on the SU demo-only site Stampin' Connection.

Now you're probably thinking my card doesn't look a whole lot like the book... I'm telling you, I don't know when I've had so much trouble with a challenge! I must have tried 10 different things. Hours later, this is what I ended up with. It's a big card - 5 x7. The main image comes from Razzle Dazzle, and I colored it with markers. I used the Circle Scissors Plus and the large scalloped square die for my cutting, plus a square of retired Razzleberry Lemonade paper. The sentiment is from the hostess set Because I Care, and the flowers were made with the Blossom Party die. In the center I put a retired Baja Breeze corduroy button and one of the large pearls from the (again... retired) Pretties Kit. The black background was embossed with one of the texture plates - if you're doing a larger project and want dry embossing, these are your go-to tool because they're so big. You probably can't see it unless you click to enlarge the photo, but it's there! Anyway... can you see my blood, sweat and tears? LOL. This might be one for the record books!

Be sure to check out the cards made by all the Divine Divas for this challenge!

Anne

Chris

Donna

Julie

Kerri

Hope you are inspired to come and play along. Just leave a comment here with a link to your card. We can't wait to see what you create! The keyword for uploading on online forums will be DDIC36. Have fun and look for the next challenge on October 7!

7 comments:

Donna said...

Great card, Lori, the colors you settled on are wonderful together! I expected this to be a tough challenge, but when I sat down to make my card, it was done in minutes. You just never know! I almost never make big cards, but mine is also 5x7--are we starting a new trend?

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

You may have had trouble, but the colors are fab, and I love the layout! Your results are so worth it!!

Kerri said...

I think it's beautiful, Lori! I struggled a little bit too, even though I knew what image I wanted to use. I kept wanting to add ribbon, and a border around my image, different embellishments, etc. In the end I just went with my more CAS version:)

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is gorgeous Lori!! I can't believe you struggled and you came out with this masterpiece. I so love every detail especially the colors and addition of the razzleberry. I admit I struggled a bit too though...I knew the image but was unsure of the colors...
hugs,
Chris

Valerie said...

I love your take on the book cover. You did a wonderful job!

Anonymous said...

Nice Challenge--finally felt like stampin--mine does not really look like what the book is about but the book itself.
Thanks much! Nola
http://inkonmypaws.blogspot.com

Jeannie said...

Very pretty card Lori! I played this week!
My link: http://jeanne-nielsen.blogspot.com/2010/09/blue-green-and-brown.html