Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Long time no Splitcoast

Wow, I haven't played a challenge on SCS in ages and ages. I probably wouldn't have today if it weren't for a color challenge that I thought could work for a card I need this week: Todd and I will celebrate our 10th anniversary on Thursday. Truthfully, now that I'm finished with it... I don't think he's going to care for these colors, LOL! But I probably won't have time to make a different card this week, and I did choose the stamp set (Artistic Etchings) specifically with him in mind, since we spent two weeks in Paris a few months after we were married. The layout is from Mercy Kerin's sketch challenge.

OK, so... the colors for the challenge were Cajun Craze, Baja Breeze and Wild Wasabi. I do like them together, I think... but it wasn't the easiest combo I've ever worked with! I wanted to put the Eiffel Tower image in the oval, and at some point I hit on the idea of the sky and the grass behind it. So I brayered the Baja Breeze and Wild Wasabi onto naturals white card stock, then stamped the image on top before cutting out with Nestabilities. The wasabi DP panel comes from the Subtles pack, with extra ink sponged onto the panel for more vintage style. I made the Baja Breeze background with the medallion stamp from the same set (with more sponging, of course). I added three (retired) copper brads and used a strip of ribbon over a scalloped border from the Tasteful Trim die. Finally I layered the sentiment on a curly label - I pulled out the Vintage Labels set from Sale-a-Bration just 'cause it needed a little something extra.

It seems like everyone is pulling out great challenges this week - but I don't know if I'll have time to play along with any more of them. I'm working on club projects for Friday night and I may have to hold off on posting those... we'll see if I can make it back here before Saturday!

No comments: