Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fun with Folds

Well, I guess I didn't get back to stamping quite like I was hoping. The kids went back to school and in many other ways it was just a crazy week. But I do have my card for my second week of hosting at Our Creative Corner. This week I'm challenging everyone to do something fun with folds - make a card with an unusual fold or include something folded on your project.

I have to admit that I feel like a real dork when I struggle with a challenge that I came up with in the first place! I had trouble deciding what to do with my card, and then once I figured that out, I still struggled with the stamping. I like how it turned out, though - it just ended up a bit simple because I ran out of time!

Anyway, here's the card. The folded square idea I came up with myself - but I'm probably not the first person to do it. I chose a sheet from the Play Date designer paper and made sure to pick one with a nice pattern on both sides so the fold would show both. To get the pattern to match up correctly, first cut a 4" square, then cut that into four 2" squares. I laid them out how they would be assembled, then folded up one corner and matched the other three corners to expose a diamond in the center. The stripes were useful in making sure my folds were straight and also in lining up the four squares. I taped them together for placement before I adhered them to the Chocolate Chip layer. I guess you could do this with a craft knife so that you wouldn't see the seams between the squares, but I usually can't be bothered to go to that much trouble, LOL! And honestly I think the seams look worse in the photo than they do IRL.

The stamps I used come from the hostess set Cute by the Inch. I was able to make a nice medallion in the center by using my Stamp-a-ma-Jig and one of the stamps - even though I have these in clear-mount, I couldn't be quite precise enough for my taste without it. The "friends" stamp then went on top with dimensionals. I didn't have a lot more room on my card so I just finished off with a scallop border made from the Tasteful Trim die - after I got my die-cut strip, I cut it in half to make two narrow border strips. At the bottom I added three (retired) Old Olive buttons threaded with tiny strips of white card stock.

I hope you'll find a fun way to use folding this week and play along with our challenge - and be sure you check out what the rest of the OCC gals have done this time around. They never disappoint! Thanks for stopping by today!

3 comments:

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Your fold card came out great, Lori! Beautiful design and I love the colors in the DP. Wonderful challenge this week - pushed me into making a gatefold card, something new to me!

Have a great week.

Hugs,
Linda

PS - I meant to email you back. I've had scheduled posts that didn't post too, sometimes due to user error other times never could figure out what went wrong - LOL!

Marilyn (stampwithMJ) said...

Super card. Great fold and wonderful colors!

Wendy J. said...

This is very cute ,Lori! It's strange that it didn't post when you scheduled it. Nice clean look, great color and layout, and an original fold! Great job! Thanks for the challenge!