Thursday, August 6, 2009

Divine Diva Inspiration Challenge #9

Welcome to our ninth challenge! It seems like we've been away a long time with that extra Thursday in July. I'm excited to be back with a challenge for you this week.

Have you heard of Ten Thousand Villages? I have to give them a little plug because they are associated with the Mennonite church, which is my family's religious background on both sides. Here is their mission statement: "Ten Thousand Villages provides vital, fair income to Third World people by marketing their handicrafts and telling their stories in North America. Ten Thousand Villages works with artisans who would otherwise be unemployed or underemployed. This income helps pay for food, education, health care and housing." If you have a store near you, go check it out!

For this week's challenge, from all the great items on the TTV web site, I chose these pretty floral boxes.

I'd picked up the Lemon Drop paper pack from K&Co. a few days ago and wouldn't you know, it's the perfect colors for this challenge. Something else new is the stamps I used. They are my first-ever stamps from My Favorite Things - it's a set called Funky Flowers. The images in this set are so cute, and great for paper piecing, so I chose one flower and vase and pieced it all (even the leaves!) with some of the K&Co. papers. For the layout I decided to go to some of my sketch files and found an old cupcake challenge from Taylored Expressions that was perfect.

I kept this card pretty simple, in line with the inspiration piece. I used riding hood red for my layers and another panel of DP for the background. Over that I put a wild wasabi panel with three vintage white buttons threaded with embroidery floss and layered on 3/4" punched DP circles. The sentiment is from the retired mini note kit called Birthdays Count. I hope this would be a fun and cheery card that anyone would love for their birthday!

Be sure to check out the cards made by all the Divine Divas for this challenge!

Angela

Chat

Chris

Julie

Keri

Hope you are inspired to come and play along. Just leave a comment here with a link to your card. We can't wait to see what you create! The keyword for uploading on SCS will be DDIC9. Have fun and look for the next challenge on August 20!

5 comments:

Julie- justwritedesigns said...

This is just wonderful, Lori! Love the dp and all the piecing on the vase and flowers. Very cut layout, too!

Kristen H said...

Here is my card, thank you for looking Thank you for the fun challenge too!!!

Marilyn (stampwithMJ) said...

Oh goodness, this card is so pretty! So fresh and fun!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow Lori!! Love your paper piecing!! The dp is perfect for the IC! Gorgeous!!

Irit Shalom said...

THE COLORS ARE SO PRETTY- SO ARE YOUR CARDS TOם
HERE IS MINE- COLORS AND FLOWERS WERE MY INSPIRATION HERE
HERE IS MY CARD