Thursday, September 17, 2009

Divine Diva Inspiration Challenge #12


I'm not sure how the idea popped into my head to do a challenge inspired by a cake. Did someone say cake? Yum.... oh, sorry, back to this week's challenge! There are so many wonderful cake photos out there and it was very hard to choose, but in the end I went with this one from Let Them Eat Cake.


When I sat down to make my card, I knew I was going to use chocolate chip plus some of the retired In Colors, along with the eyelet border punch. Other than that, I didn't have an idea ahead of time. I decided to use the For All You Do stamp set. I clear embossed the stem and flowers with kiwi kiss and riding hood red, then cut them out and assembled them on a baja breeze panel. The center of the flowers are pink pirouette buttons from Button Bouquet, threaded with brown embroidery floss. The sentiment is from Many Happy Returns (retired) and was oval punched and mounted on dimensionals.

When I was working on this card I found a riding hood red panel that I'd embossed with the Cuttlebug birds and swirls folder - for some project or other! I decided to try my trick of heat embossing the dry-embossed panel. (See this post for the tutorial.) Mainly I did this because with the flower having been embossed, the unembossed cardstock didn't look red enough. But I think the clear embossing looks very cool with this CB pattern. I added embellishments from the Hodgepodge Hardware (also retired) copper set and a bit of kiwi ribbon. The card base is pink pirouette with the edge run through the eyelet border punch. All in all I really like this card - although I think it didn't photograph well and it also turned out more pink and less brown than I anticipated! But that's one thing I continue to find fascinating about the artistic process - you never quite know where you're going to end up.

Be sure to check out the cards made by all the Divine Divas for this challenge!

Angela - this is unfortunately Angela's last challenge with us. A big thank-you from me for being such a wonderful DT member!

Anne

Chris

Donna

Julie

Keri

Kerri

Hope you are inspired to come and play along. Just leave a comment here with a link to your card. We can't wait to see what you create! The keyword for uploading on SCS will be DDIC12. Have fun and look for the next challenge on October 1!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous card! I love it:)

Kerri said...

This is gorgeous, Lori! I love that flower and the rich color you achieved looks fabulous!

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

Lori, I love all the RED! The pink and green and chocolate taken from the cake are fabulous! Yum!

Julie- justwritedesigns said...

Beautiful, Lori! Love the red flowers w/ the pink button centers. The eyelet edge and embossed panels look terrific.

Donna said...

Pretty! I love that deep, rich red color, as well as all the little details you worked into this design.

This was a fun challenge...thanks again for asking me to join the Divas!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is gorgeous Lori!! Love the rich red and your flower!!! Great inspiration card!!! Love the colors and design!!

Keri Brown said...

Just gorgeous Julie... I love it.. I think the pink in here just pulls in so much. Great job and great inspiration piece. I had fun with this one!!!

Keri :)

pam124 said...

Lori, your card is GORGEOUS as is this inspiration piece. Sadly, I did a card for this challenge, but it isn't exactly what I would call a "WOW"!! I liked the paper I chose, but it wasn't vibrant enough. But, I'm submitting anyhow. Here's mine:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1483796?&cat=500&ppuser=176085

Thanks for great inspiration!