Saturday, January 16, 2010

Thoughts of Dots!


I guess it's been a quiet week on my blog. I had a couple other projects to finish up after the holidays, and my stamp club starts in a week so I have other things on my plate. But I'm here with my card for the Our Creative Corner challenge. Joycelyn's challenge this week is easy peasy: use blue and green. Two of my favorite stamping colors!

This is another card showcasing lots of new products. I got the new heart treat cups and the matching stamps, a set called Sweetheart - but the flower stem image makes adorable flowers for any occasion. I paired it with the large image from With All My Heart, which (as you have probably seen) fits perfectly inside our new extra large flower punch. I used old olive for the stem and leaves, and not quite navy for the flower. Then I put a bashful blue button (tied with hemp twine) in the center and a bashful blue bird (another image from Sweetheart) at the bottom.

The frame around my image uses the new scallop trim border punch - one of the offerings through Sale-a-Bration. Instead of figuring out the right size to make a whole layer with scalloped corners, I took inspiration from a card that's shown on the flyer for the heart treat cups. I just punched out four border strips and cut them to size. (My white panel measures 2.75" x 4", so the short sides use six scallops and the long sides use nine.) Then I adhered them to the back of the white panel with dimensionals. Tip of the day: Start with either the two long or two short sides and put dimensionals down the length of the strip. Then when you adhere the other two strips, you will only put dimensionals in the middle and regular adhesive on the ends. That way the whole frame lays flat.

I finished my card by making a false card front of bashful blue cardstock embossed with the new Perfect Polka Dots folder. (The card base is actually whisper white.) Around that I tied old olive striped ribbon before adhering to the base. Then I added a sentiment from Whimsical Words (a SAB set) that was punched with the wide oval and attached to a tag from the Lots of Tags die set.

I hope you'll come play along with the challenge this week - there is even a prize up for grabs from Totally Stampalicious. Come check it out and be sure to take a look at all the DT cards - they are always amazing! Thanks for visiting my blog today!

11 comments:

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Terrific card Lori. I love the shades of blues and greens you chose. Thanks for the tips, especially on using the border punch. I am planning to order that tomorrow from my SU demo so the tip will come in handy!

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

I love this card with the swiss dots. The little bird is so cute in the corner, and I love your big flower. Great job.

LorettaL said...

Lori, it's wonderful!!!

Jennifer Meyer said...

Hi Lori :) I LOVE your card, what a beautiful design and your flowers is SO pretty! Great take on the color challenge!

Have a wonderful weekend, Jennifer :)

Hanne said...

Beautiful card!
Hanne

Anonymous said...

I love this....I've been trying to make the new corner punch work for 2 days and I've given up. I'm going to try your way...lol... cute card too....

Cookie

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is so pretty Lori!! I love blue, green, and white also!! Pretty flower and swiss dots!!

I created a card for this challenge this week also. It has been a long time since joining the OCC. Never enough time in a week.
~chris

Silke Ledlow said...

Lori - your card is so beautiful!!! You rocked this color challenge!!! Hugs ~S~

Tina said...

I love the use of the two stamp sets, totally going to have to case. TFS!

Tina
tinataves.blogspot.com

Wendy J. said...

Lori, this is a really cute card. I love it! Great job!

cheryl said...

wonderful work hun adore that image and those papers are just gojus,fab detail too hugs cheryl xxxxxxx