Saturday, January 22, 2011

Colors of Nature

This week at Our Creative Corner we have a color challenge - but not your typical color challenge. Our host, Wendy Janson, asked us to use an analogous color scheme. What is that, you ask? Well, you can click the OCC link to read a bit more, but briefly, it's colors that are next to each other on the color wheel. I'm really not sure I did it entirely correctly, LOL, and I probably used more brown than I should have, but here's my card anyway. I couldn't decide what colors to use - I went back and forth between several combinations - and after struggling for a while I looked at my ink pads and my card idea just jumped out at me. I think the result turned out a lot like I imagined and I'm pretty happy with it.

I used a stamp set I haven't pulled out in ages - Inspired by Nature - with a yellow and green (OK, and brown) color scheme (and naturals ivory card stock). First I colored the flower stamp with So Saffron, Pear Pizzazz and Chocolate Chip markers, then I went back in with Daffodil Delight, Old Olive and Early Espresso markers to try to shade a little bit. How well it worked, I'm not really sure... you can maybe see it best on the flower stems and leaves. I ended up cutting out the tiniest flower and adhering it on top of the other two since the whole image was just too big, but it really did need all three flowers for balance.

Behind the flower panel I used the grass image, and to go along with that, I made my first attempt at a brayered background with my four shades of yellow and green. I'm not sure it looks like it should, but I kind of liked it so I went with it. I sponged some Early Espresso around the edges and heavier on the bottom to simulate the ground. I also used a panel of striped So Saffron DP and put everything on an espresso card base. The sentiment is from Perfect Punches. I wanted some simple accents so I added a little paper piercing, and here's how I did my ribbon: I punched a partial circle with a 3/4" circle punch, attached it to the flower panel, punched a small hole through both, threaded a small piece of olive grosgrain ribbon through the hole, and tied a bow around it with linen thread.

Be sure you go check out the OCC blog to see all the creations from our design team - they are always fabulous. Then pick some colors and play along with us - Wendy gave us a fun challenge so please join in!

6 comments:

Wendy J. said...

Lori this is beautiful! I love the way you've used the ribbon and your little tag accents. You did a good job with the brayer too. I struggled with this challenge as well. Sorry, I was just looking for a color combo that let everyone choose without going monochomatic (which I love). This turned out beautiful. You did a great job!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Your card came out fabulous, Lori. I love all the extra details with the layering and even the stamped background. And your ribbon treatment is wonderful - LOVE it! Great job on this tough challenge!

Zoe Tant said...

Lori I think you're a natural! It's a beautiful card and has inspired me to have a go soon. Zoë

Diane Gilbert said...

Lori this is one of my favorite stamp sets, great job on the challenge! I really like your ribbon accent and your sentiment tag. Beautiful colors and layout! Gorgeous card!!!

Patty C in NC said...

Gorgeous Card Lori! I bought this set and have been thinking of how to use it. Thanks!

Sarah Gough said...

That stamp set is such a classic....it works with so many different colour combos don't you think? Love the card!