Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pink Dogwood Pearls

It's time for another challenge at Our Creative Corner. This week our hostess, Wendy Janson, gave us a simple sketch challenge and told us to dress it up according to our personal style. Well, I don't know that I dressed mine up that much - I was in the mood for something a little more clean and simple. But since I often like CAS, and I do think it's a pretty card (which I also often like), I think it represents my style pretty well.


When I started out I was kind of stumped for what stamp set I wanted to use. Then I saw that Easter Blossoms was still out on my table from making my card kit the other day, and I decided the dogwood image was perfect to fill the large oval. I also kept the pink and brown color scheme but changed the colors to Pink Pirouette, Chocolate Chip and Whisper White. I colored the dogwood flowers with pink marker and then added the tiniest adhesive pearls to the centers of some of the flowers. (You can see that better if you click on the photo to enlarge it.)

For the background I did something I don't think I've done before - I used designer paper and an embossed panel (done with a texture plate) in the same color. I really like the monochromatic look this achieved while still giving some contrasting texture. I also created my own sentiment by combining words from two separate stamps from the set On Your Birthday. All I needed was a Chocolate Chip marker and my Stamp-a-ma-Jig to perfectly align two words that were approximately the same size. For final touches I added Chocolate Chip satin ribbon and larger pearls - this time colored pink with a Sharpie. See, I knew that big multicolor pack of Sharpies I got at Costco would come in handy!

Thanks for stopping by today and be sure you go check out what the rest of the OCC has created. I promise you won't be disappointed!

6 comments:

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Very nice, Lori! I do like the texture you added to the top panel and what a cool trick with the Sharpie - very clever! And yes, you do do a fabulous CAS, something that I can't seem to restrain myself to do - LOL!

Have a great weekend.

Hugs,
Linda

Sarah Gough said...

Oh, so pretty Lori, such a classic colour combo that always looks great!

KellyRae said...

I LOVE the CAS look to this card. The color combo is fab and the blossom branch soooooo delicate. Very very pretty card - thanks for the inspiration.

Miriam said...

Love how you used this set! The pale pink in stunning.

Diane Gilbert said...

Lori I LOVE your clean and simple card! The colors are so soothing and your sharpie trick is very clever! Great Card!

Wendy J. said...

This is just beautiful, Lori! I wish I could see it closer to see the pearls better! Fabulous colors and it's just so soft and pretty!