Sunday, March 23, 2008

Getting back in the stamping groove

Well. How long has it been since I uploaded a challenge card to SCS? Not counting my own inspiration challenges - three weeks! I hope to be able to get to more of them this coming week.

Today's featured stamper is another of my blogging faves - Beth seems to be channeling my blog reading lately with her picks! It's Amy Sheffer of Pickled Paper Designs. Congrats, Amy! She does beautiful work so go check her out! I looked at her gallery for about a half hour this morning before finally choosing this card. I had already mentioned that I tend to pick the simpler cards for these challenges, and I also try to look at some older cards and not pick one of the most recent. I don't know what it is - maybe the same part of me that gets bothered when I'm at a restaurant and I order the same thing as someone else at the table. LOL. I just for some reason gravitate away from what I think someone else might pick.

OK, enough already. Here is my card. I loved Amy's right away because of course it's my favorite color - soft sky. But then I thought, I use it all the time, so I went with a different combo. The base is pale plum, which I'm not sure I've ever used, and the accent color is not quite navy. I think it's quite striking with the black.

I already knew it was going to be a Mother's Day card (of course) so I stuck with a floral stamp set. I wanted to keep the watercoloring that Amy used so I chose Embrace Life. I stamped on watercolor paper with black Staz-On and then used my watercolor crayons and aqua painter. Instead of Crystal Effects on the flower, I decided to do a little accenting with a clear Sakura glitter pen. The flower is cut out and mounted on dimensionals.

I played with some different ribbons, but in the end Amy was right - dots were perfect. This ribbon came from JoAnn's $.99 rack. I stamped the linen background on both the card and the blue panel, and the sentiment comes from All-Year Cheer II. Don't ask how many tries of the base card I did before it came out right. Let's just say the little bit of pale plum that I had in my starter kit is pretty much gone! Well, I think this turned out quite pretty, and I hope it does Amy's beautiful work justice.

No comments: