Sunday, April 6, 2008

Me and my sweet tooth

Y'all who know me do understand the depth of my honest-to-goodness sweet tooth, but that's not the kind I'm talking about today! I had to get another sweet little treat for myself on Friday - I had a $20 frequent buyer coupon at one of the stamp shops in the area so I decided to go get myself some of the new Basic Grey papers. The last couple lines from them haven't wowed me, but they have five new ones and they are all stunning!

I think one of my favorites is called Sugared (click here to see everything from it, as well as the other new collections). These papers seemed to call out to me when I saw the SCS featured stamper challenge for today. She is Kristi, aka Mommylvs2stamp, and she has a lovely gallery. I picked this card because I noticed the Basic Grey Blush papers right away, and I also loved the shape and the layout.

I think the influence from Kristi's card should be clear, so I'll just tell you what I did. First I cut a white top-fold card and rounded the bottom corners. Then I cut panels from two of the Sugared prints and rounded the corners of the striped paper to match the card. Before adhering the top panel I added the ribbon - sorry, I have no clue what it is, but isn't it gorgeous? - so that it wouldn't show on the inside of the card. The scallop and stripe in the center are cut from another Sugared print and adhered over top. I used just a bit of always artichoke on the edges.

With my flower image I did embossing on vellum just as Kristi did. I chose the large flower from One of a Kind and stamped it with Versamark, then embossed with some old hand-me-down pink EP. It looked a little too pristine so I dirtied it up with Ranger vintage photo distress ink and cut it out. Behind the flower is a layer of white cardstock with the same flower stamped in third-generation vintage photo. I added the copper brad (American Traditional Designs) in the center and adhered with foam tape.

For the sentiment I used Ranger aged mahogany distress ink and a stamp from Wordsworth. Then I stamped the little flower from One of a Kind in pretty in pink all around the words. It wouldn't have looked right if I didn't make it nice and shabby, so I rubbed all over with the vintage photo ink. I didn't mean to get it quite this dirty, but I didn't have time to do it over!

This is one card that I think looked better in my head than it turned out, so I'm curious to hear what you all think. Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

jjcreations said...

This is very pretty. Love the colours. Joan