Saturday, June 16, 2012

Burlap Butterfly

It's been a very long time since I was able to participate in the weekly challenges for Our Creative Corner. The ladies over there have been so understanding with my needing to take a little break. I'm planning to be back as an active part of the team for the rest of this year - yay! This week's challenge is to use buttons and burlap. I can't say I ever thought about using burlap on a card, or even where to get burlap, LOL. But the local fabric store had several colors and I decided to use it on one of the cards my club will make this weekend. The layout comes from the Deconstructed Sketch blog.


Note: there are a whole lotta new products making their debut here! I wanted to feature a technique with this card and chose reverse masking. First I took one of the Apothecary Accents dies, cut out a shape with it, and sponged Crumb Cake ink inside the frame left over onto naturals ivory card stock. Next I punched out the Elegant Butterfly from a post-it note and sponged Primrose Petals (another new In Color) the same way. Before removing the mask I stamped the swirl from Everything Eleanor inside the butterfly with Early Espresso. The sentiment comes from the stamp set Lacy & Lovely. Once I was done stamping, I cut the image out with a labels framelit and sponged espresso ink on the edges. (Probably should have similarly sponged everything else but I forgot - oh well!) Three pearls form the butterfly's body. To finish the card, I cut a piece of burlap slightly larger than my die-cut shape and glued the two onto a panel of Primrose Petals DP and espresso CS embossed with one of the Delicate Designs embossing folders. I put a panel of Crumb Cake DP onto the naturals ivory card base, then added three buttons out of my stash, threaded with linen thread.

I hope you will take on our challenge and play with some burlap this week. Don't forget to stop by the OCC blog and see what the rest of the team has created this week! I'm really happy to be back and looking forward to many more fun challenges with all those lovely OCC ladies. Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Heather said...

Beautiful card! Love the "Kraft" colors..with the pink! Your butterfly is fabby and love the little pink buttons!!
I have some burlap I recently purchased...I need to use it on a card too...LOL.
Thank you for the beautiful inspiration piece!
Hugs!!
Heather

Jessi Fogan said...

Oh, I love the colours & the beautiful layers :) The sponging is awesome, and what a beautiful butterfly!

Lisa Minckler said...

Lori,
Your card is beautiful!!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

The pink and tan look super duper with this burlap...stunning really! What an extra lovely card Lori!!!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Hi Lori! So excited that you are back this week! Love that reverse masking technique and the way you used the burlap. I ned to make a trip to the fabric store, too as the only piece of burlap I owned I used on my card this week. Haha! It's always fun to try new things creatively. Hope you had a great weekend! BIg hugs! :)

Sharon Wheet said...

Lori, I love how you used the piece of burlap as a textured accent piece. Very pretty! Your butterfly is very stunning, too!
I hope your weekend was wonderful, hugs, sharon w.

Meihsia Liu said...

Hi, Lori, this is absolutely a beautiful card. I love the fabulous layers of layout and the burlap is gorgeous on it ... :)