Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Inspiration Challenge #30: Blueberry Tarts dress


Welcome back to my Wednesday IC! I've missed doing these and I think I have some fun ideas for the next few weeks. Today's challenge is this adorable dress from Chasing Fireflies. I can't afford the dress, but I can at least admire it and be inspired by it! I took my own photo because the one on the web site seemed a little small, and I wanted you to see the detail in the dress. As always you can click on my photo to make it bigger.

I decided to play some more with my Eastern Blooms set and the new In Colors: baja breeze, pacific point, kiwi kiss, and tangerine tango. The pacific point and tangerine are the two colors (so far) that I'm least likely to reach for, so I thought it would be good to challenge myself to use those. I also used today's SCS sketch challenge for my layout.

I considered a few different techniques I could use to replicate the subtle background of the dark blue fabric. I ended up inking the large flower branch first in Versamark and then in baja breeze so that I could do an emboss resist on baja breeze cardstock. I used clear EP to emboss and then used my brayer to cover the panel with pacific point ink. I rubbed over the panel with a paper towel to let the baja breeze flowers pop out.

Next I stamped the three-flower stamp in tangerine, pacific point, and baja breeze on the coordinating cardstocks. I cut out one of each design in the three different colors. For the stems I partially inked the large flower stamp from Live Your Dream using a blender pen and kiwi kiss reinker and stamped three times on a small kiwi panel. Then I mounted the cut-out flowers with dimensionals.

I pulled the striped paper out of the baja breeze designer paper pack for the righthand background layer. For the other layers I used tangerine cardstock since that color needed some repetition. I used a kiwi card base and the kiwi satin ribbon for finishing touches. The sentiment is from Sincere Salutations and is stamped in pacific point.

So tell me what you think - I confess the tangerine was hurting my eyes a little at first ;) but it's growing on me. I hope you'll join in the fun and play my challenge - if you upload your card at SCS, the keyword this week is DSIC30. Don't forget to leave me a comment with a link to your card so everyone can enjoy your creations!