Thursday, March 4, 2010

Divine Diva Inspiration Challenge #23


Welcome to our first challenge for the month of March! For this month I have a photo of the cover for a White House Black Market catalog that I got in the mail. I just fell in love with this image as soon as I saw it but since it wasn't in digital form this is the best I can offer you. I think it has lots of fun details to provide you with inspiration.

Now, when I chose this challenge, I wouldn't have predicted that this was the sort of card I'd end up with. To tell the truth, I generally have no idea what my creation will turn out to be when I choose the challenges - I prefer to take it on with a fresh eye and no preconceptions. I knew I wanted to use melon mambo with black and white, and incorporate polka dots and some kind of large, ruffly flower with bling. And this card is the result - it's kind of different for me, but I think I like it!

I know you've seen all the cool distressed flowers that are showing up everywhere in papercrafting right now. I don't think mine is as cool as most I've seen, but I did have that concept in mind. I used white tissue paper - maybe 6 layers of it - and cut out this "flower" with the scallop circle #2 die. To distress it I basically wadded it into a ball and then opened it back up. The smaller flowers are a scallop punch of black linen-textured cardstock from the retired Taste of Textiles and a Boho Blossoms punch of whisper white textured cardstock. In the center I put a Crate Paper pink rhinestone brad.

Once I had my big flower, I had to figure out what in the world to do with it! I cut the background panel from Kaiser Craft DP, then added a panel of melon mambo textured cardstock that was embossed with the finial press folder and embellished with a strip of 5/8" basic black grosgrain ribbon. At that point I decided to bring in the pop of green, which here is kiwi kiss. The swirly leaves are from a (I'm embarrassed to say this) Hello Kitty Bigz die. (I have no idea what this die has to do with Hello Kitty but it does have some nice flowers and swirls!) Once the flower was all assembled I adhered it over the background with dimensionals, then added the sentiment from Sincere Salutations.

Be sure to check out the cards made by all the Divine Divas for this challenge!

Anne

Chris

Donna

Julie

Kerri

Hope you are inspired to come and play along. Just leave a comment here with a link to your card. We can't wait to see what you create! The keyword for uploading on online forums will be DDIC23. Have fun and look for the next challenge in two weeks!

11 comments:

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

Lori, I always comment on the DT alphabetically, so yours is always the last. I love the stylized flower you came up with! Your choice on this picture was the BEST so far. All the cards and projects reflect how much we loved the colors and design!! All of us did something different, and it has been such fun to see what directions everyone went!! Thanks so much for this challenge!!!

Donna said...

Every time I look at one of your cards, I see something that makes me slap my forehead and say, "Wow! Why can't I think of stuff like that?" On this card, it's that flower. Your whole card is wonderful, but I just love that flower!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Oh how pretty Lori!! Such a beautiful flower with all the dimension!! Your colors and design is so beautiful!! Awesome inspired creation. This is one of my favorite inspiration photos yet. Loved working with it and seeing everyone else's takes on the inspiration.
hugs,
Chris

Julie- justwritedesigns said...

This is fabulous, Lori! I love your color combo and that big flower w/ the flourish is perfect. Awesome job!

Kerri said...

I adore your large bloom! I think it looks fabulous!!! I wish I had thought to use Melon Mambo! I thought Cameo Coral looked a little dull...oh well : ) I also just adore those swirly flourishes coming out from the flower. Just an overall awesome card!!!

Julia Aston said...

Love how you worked all the colors into this pretty card Lori - the green scrolly and big white flower really pop on this!

cheryl said...

wow this is gorjus love the papers and such amazing detail great take on the picture hugs cheryl xxxx

Jodi said...

Very pretty card! Love your take on the challenge!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Marilyn (stampwithMJ) said...

Beautiful and such a pretty inspiration!

Lisa said...

Here's my entry for the challenge. I love how different the interpretations are of this challenge. Everyone is just sooo creative. I love everyone's entry! Thanks for the great challenge...I had a lot of fun with it.

Anonymous said...

Here is my card