Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pair of clubs

Actually, a pair of club cards! These are the cards we did at my February club meeting last weekend. We had a great time!

This first card uses the faux Chinese lantern technique - plus we got a little extra technique practice with masking and watercoloring. The flower from the hostess set Asian Artistry was stamped with black Stazon, masked on the left side, and stamped again to fill out the image into two flowers. I think it made the image have a much greater presence for this technique. We used the Aqua Painter with just a tiny bit of ink to watercolor the flowers. I used the rich razzleberry and old olive markers and scribbled on the inside of the lids, then picked up the color with a barely wet brush. Using just a bit of water made it OK to use whisper white cardstock instead of watercolor paper, and the colors came out so soft and pretty. Once the image was dry we ran it through the crimper and smudged the edges with the basic black ink pad. To finish off the card, we added textured black cardstock, Cottage Wall DP, and razzleberry ribbon. The sentiment is from Vintage Labels and the frame from Great Friend.

The second card came out of my wanting to take my idea from this card in a different direction. I also highlighted the Sweet Pea DP pack by using it for all the punched pieces. As before I made the stems and leaves from the extra-large bird punch, glueing the wings onto the branches to make the arrangement of leaves. Then we added boho punched flowers with gold brads in the center. The vase is the ornament punch with the tip cut off - I know I've seen this idea elsewhere so it's not original to me, but it's wonderful. I always love when you can use a Christmas product for something else! After we glued the arrangement together with the 2-way glue pen, we mounted the whole thing with dimensionals. The sentiment from Kind & Caring Thoughts was stamped right onto that layer with taken with teal. I don't know if you can see but we scored a couple lines on two edges of the white panel behind the vase. That side of the card just needed something, and it could also have been paper piercing but I wanted to show my club members something different. A layer of chocolate chip and a white card base finished everything off.

Thanks for stopping by today - I always appreciate everyone who visits my blog. Come back tomorrow for the first DDIC of March!

3 comments:

Sharon Fritz said...

I am always checking out other SU demo's blog. Yours is very nicely done.

Jenny Gropp said...

LOVELY!!! Just love that vase especially!

Anonymous said...

Love how you made the vase---so easy with our ornament punch!

Great projects--you do such a lovely job.

Hugs, Nola