Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The best sketch ever

I really loved the sketch (layout) challenge at SCS today. I think it will be a consistent favorite of mine because there are so many possibilities. I played with three different ideas today and just had a blast.

Here's the first. This is a Rachel card and I feel quite sure she will love it because these are the colors of the walls in the downstairs of her house! The patterned paper (by Sandylion) was the inspiration. For this one I followed the measurements on the challenge sample, which is smaller than the cards I usually make, but it really simplified the assembly. The center stamp is from Stampin' Up's Good Things Grow and the sentiment is by Savvy Stamps. The ink is SU's cranberry crisp.

The second card is a kid card. I went in a different direction, using a stamped background for the tiles. This is SU's Wild About You set. The green is a Tombow marker but the others are ink (Color Box charcoal, VersaColor cocoa and smoke blue). The cardstock layers match the colors of the animals (brown, green, gray and blue). I went back to my usual larger size so I had to figure out the dimensions myself - if I'd had to take a test on the Pythagorean theorem today, I would have failed!

Finally I thought of doing an Asian-inspired card. The patterned paper again gave me my direction. This is from DCWV's Far East collection. For this one I inked all the edges in black and used gray, black and purple cardstock to coordinate with and set off the Asian paper. The sentiment is by Penny Black. The ribbon was the hardest part - I first tied the silver organdy around the panel and made it into a bow, but I just couldn't get it to look right and in the end changed the bow to a knot. It still looked lackluster so that's when I thought of adding a bit of black organdy and silver cord knotted around the first knot. This is a technique I never would have thought of myself but the experts on SCS use it regularly and I love how it looks. I'm very pleased with how all of these turned out, and I'm sure you'll be seeing this sketch again in my work.

No comments: