Monday, August 20, 2007

I have a repeat customer!

My friend Rachel bought a card from me a while back and now she's placed an order for five more. It's incredible to think that I might actually be able to build a tiny little business doing something that I love - which is what I hope I can do with singing as well but right now that's really in the slow lane.

Anyway, Rachel asked for "thinking of you" cards and I made one tonight. I'll probably make more than five so that she can choose which ones she likes best. This card was CASEd from (copied, or maybe inspired by) this card from SCS. I thought the original was stunning, but I needed something a bit simpler. I cut a tan card first, then cut two panels from Basic Grey's Blush paper collection. After I cut the card I realized I'd just used my last sheet of that color cardstock, and I needed something to stamp on, so I took white cardstock and rubbed on light brown ink with a paper towel. I cut a 3" square out and then punched out the corners using a circle punch. I did the same with a larger square of aqua cardstock, and inked the edges of both in dark brown. I stamped the flowers (from Stampin' Up's Polka Dots and Paisley) using Color Box rose coral and VersaColor celadon ink for the flower and Marvy English red for the outline. Then I stamped the sentiment (Savvy Stamps) in English red at the bottom. I tied a peach ribbon around the first background panel and then mounted it all together. Looking at the original now I realize I completely forgot to put the dots behind the flowers, but it's done now - I'll have to do that next time since I really like how this came out.

In family news, the painting of our house started today. It already looks worlds better with just the tinted primer up. We're a little hot and woozy from not being able to use air conditioners (they're covered up outside) and having primer fumes inside, but I think this will all be done on Wed. or Thu. Can't wait! Sarah was very annoyed that all the windows were covered with plastic since she loves to look out. She was so funny today - she brought me her shoes this morning, and it was so cute that I put them on, but then she went to the door wanting to go out. Since we couldn't I just let her wear the shoes inside. Our sitter came today while I was at my lesson, and when I got back I was told that Sarah refused to take her shoes off at naptime so she just slept in them! She also attempted several new words today - most notably Eeyore, Tigger, and hole, which were while I was reading a Pooh story to Ben. She also fed herself a little applesauce from a spoon at dinner - she seems to prefer sitting on my lap and munching after she's gotten down from her high chair, and tonight she insisted on doing it herself. Which reminds me of another new word from today - spoon. We are just constantly amazed at how many words she's saying and how much she is communicating.

No comments: