Saturday, November 22, 2008

ABC Blitz: 2009 calendars

I'm challenging myself in the coming days to post some of the ABC (anything but a card) projects I worked on for the fair at Ben's school. (Incidentally, I did really well at the fair and sold a whole lot of stuff, so I'm really pleased!) My first post will be this year's version of the CD case calendar. If you remember, last year I made these. This year I decided to try something different - I liked the 12-page version but they were a whole lot of work and I wanted a simpler version this time around.

For 2009 I got tear-off calendars from Stamp On This. I ordered these quite a while ago, and now it looks like they are running out, so be sure you order early! I made white base panels cut to 5 7/16" x 4 5/8" - you'll want to check this size against your CD cases before you cut since I think the size may vary slightly.

Next I stamped the panels. I made six different ones, using either very large stamps or images that could be combined to make a nice allover pattern. The first one uses Inspired by Nature colored with pumpkin pie, old olive and chocolate chip markers. Next is the gorgeous Bella Blossoms flower in purely pomegranate and old olive over the Boho Blooms background in pink pirouette. I stamped the flower separately then cut it out and adhered over the stem. The smaller flowers were stamped directly over the background.

This one uses Organic Outlines in chocolate chip, kiwi kiss and so saffron (inspired by the card on p. 99 of the catalog).

Next, Baroque Motifs in soft sky, blue bayou, and river rock. (Can you tell I was enjoying getting out last year's In Colors for a change?)

Here I used Kindred Spirits in Night of Navy and Basic Grey. I'm not crazy about this one so I want to keep playing with this set to get something I like better!

This last one uses a stamp by Artful Stamper, stamped in Baja Breeze in two generations.

The final step is to cut a 3 3/8" x 2 1/4" panel for adhering the calendar. Then you just take your CD case, remove the front cover, flip it over, and reattach it so it becomes a stand. (Note: make sure you have the standard size jewel case and not the slim kind.)

There you have it - a pretty quick project with lots of possibilities!

2 comments:

Pam Speidel said...

OMG Lori! I love your stamped calender creations! These will make the nicest little Christmas gifts for coworkers.

Emma Fewkes said...

Gorgeous Lori ... I spotted these in the SCS gallery and came over to see more details. Gorgeous!