Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Branching out

It feels like having come through the crisis of deciding to pursue fixing my TMJ and taking a break from singing has allowed me to think about where else in my life I can find happiness - and I've realized that stamping is what is going to fill the void. I really want to make something of it, and so I've decided to apply to participate in my first craft show on November 17. I've been doing my research like the good little nerd I am, and it seems that although people do have luck selling cards (although not for what I'd like to charge for them, hrmph), they also do well selling other stamped items, which is something I don't have much experience with. So I'm trying some new things this week, which is really fun. Here's what I have so far.


One of the frequent items that people mentioned that sells well is sets of coasters. They're made from porous tiles from the home improvement store, so I went today and picked up a whole bunch. You can stamp on them with StazOn permanent solvent ink and they will be waterproof. I stamped these with a Hero Arts background stamp and an Artful Stamper pear stamp. The tag is from Stampin' Up.

Something else that people say sells well is food items - these are called nugget boxes because they're sized to hold the Hershey's nuggets. You can make them in a multitude of sizes; this one holds 8. I followed the directions on the SCS tutorial, using some really cute Christmas paper whose maker didn't put their name on their product! The sentiment comes from SU and the gift stamp is from A Muse.













I'm still trying to decide for sure what else I'm going to sell; certainly cards and sets of cards, and probably something else food-related. I'd like to try making some mini photo frames that could be ornaments or magnets. I'm also experimenting with stamping on dominos - the side without the pips, of course. This is proving a bit more of a challenge for me but I'll figure it out. I got Todd's dad to drill holes in a box of dominos while he was still here today. I will probably also try doing some as magnets and maybe necklaces. Stay tuned...

No comments: