Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Inspiration Challenge #8: Cocktail dress
When I saw this dress in the Bloomingdale’s catalog (click here for original) I knew I had to use it for the challenge this week. I really loved the color combination and just thought it was a gorgeous dress. Since I can neither afford it nor do I have anywhere to wear it, I’ll have to settle for making a card based on it! My colors are SU taken with teal, chocolate chip and sahara sand, and all supplies are SU unless otherwise noted.
I wanted to incorporate the diagonal element from the dress into the card somehow. I ended up first cutting the background chocolate panel, then the slightly smaller teal panel, and then I took another piece of sand that was the same width as the teal and cut it at an angle. I laid it on top of a chocolate piece the same width and eyeballed it to get the correct size layer. Don’t ask me what angle it is – math is not my strong suit! – but the width of the finished diagonal strip is approximately 2 inches. Since it didn’t quite reach to the bottom of the panel, I thought a horizontal strip across the bottom would look good.
The dress seemed to call for my Baroque Motifs set. I stamped the swirl on the teal panel in chocolate ink a couple times, then dirtied the edges with the chocolate ink and added some Sakura glitter pen. The sand panels use the same swirl and ink but I stamped off twice before stamping on the sand pieces to get a light background. The sentiment is by Inkadinkado and is stamped in teal. Both strips of sand also have some edging in the chocolate ink. The medallions are stamped onto sand cardstock and cut out, then accented with glitter pen. The crystal brad is from Making Memories.
To mount everything, I layered the background panels and the diagonal panel first, then added the sentiment with foam tape. The chocolate flowers are mounted flat, but the teal medallion is on foam tape – which looks nice and also allows room for this rather large brad! I can’t believe I made a wedding card with no ribbon on it – it just didn’t seem to need anything else.
I hope you like this challenge and will play along this week. If you do, be sure to let us know with a comment! I'm also going to start providing a keyword for posting on SCS, so this week's is DSIC8. Happy stamping!