Saturday, November 28, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like...


no, not Christmas! For this week's Our Creative Corner challenge, we have a sketch that calls to mind beautiful Christmas ornaments. Well, I'm feeling rather Christmas-ed out in my stamping, as you could probably imagine! So I flipped the sketch upside-down and went a totally different way.

My idea was to turn the ornaments into trees or flowers. I ended up using one of my favorite flower images from Petal Pizazz. As I was trying to decide on a color scheme, my eye landed on the stack of Basic Grey Lemonade paper that is out on my table - I'm really trying to use stuff up while stocking my Etsy shop at the same time. I decided this paper would be lovely for my card.

I got a little fussy with my flowers - I wanted to stamp on whisper white so that I'd get the true color from the rich razzleberry ink, but I didn't like the white centers of the flowers. So I stamped them on white and cut them out, then stamped them again on the untextured side of my yellow Bazzill cardstock and just cut out the centers. Voila, yellow centers for my flowers! I then put American Crafts taffy buttons tied with hemp twine in the center of each flower to cover the ink, which when stamped on the yellow just looked too brown.

I arranged my flowers coming out of a strip of kiwi kiss cardstock stamped tone on tone with the Linen background stamp. I used more hemp twine for the "stems" and then added kiwi leaves. (These were stamped on white - I'm not fussy enough to try to cut out those leaf veins!) The sentiment (by Impression Obsession) was stamped on another of the Lemonade prints and then punched. To anchor that bit of gingham check, I added a strip of the gingham paper at the bottom, allowing just a bit of the yellow card base to show. A strip of eyelet border punch razzleberry cardstock finished off my card.

Be sure you check out all the wonderful samples from the OCC team this week! I hope you'll play along with this fun challenge.

6 comments:

Silke Ledlow said...

Lori - I love your idea...flipping the sketch is awesome!!! Why didn't I think of it - LOL???

Absolutely B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L card - GF!!! Love it all!!! Hugs ~S~

Wendy J. said...

I love that you did something different with the sketch! Your flowers are the perfect choice and the card is so cute. Love it!

Joycelyn Pelkey said...

Now this is original...I absolutely LOVE it!!! What a SPECTACULAR take on the sketch...GORGEOUS!!!!

Melissa said...

How dang smart - you flipped the card! Cool!

I love the great colors! We both did a springy take on the sketch. Great minds think alike!

BTW, that dino card is soooo adorable!

Jennifer Meyer said...

Beautiful card Lori, I LOVE how you turned the sketch, your flowers and dp are stunning!

Have a fun week and I hope Ben has a wonderful Birthday! Hugs, Jennifer :)

Mrs B said...

Oh, I love your take on the sketch this week!
CindyB