Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Twelve Days of Christmas (Cards) - Day 3


I'm back with my Christmas card for today. This is a pretty simple one - in fact, I think it could end up being one of the make and takes for my upcoming workshop. (I am so indecisive that I may not make up my mind until the day of!)

This card uses the most recent Mojo Monday sketch. It's a contest week and I probably strayed too far from the sketch to even hope of winning, but I still like the card!

Looking at the sketch, I first thought of Patterned Pines to fill that large focal area. I then went to my Merry Moments designer paper and chose the old olive snowflake print to use for the background, and stamped the trees with olive ink on very vanilla cardstock. I placed a single layer of chocolate chip on a vanilla card base, then added the 4" square of DP and a strip of olive cardstock, leaving a border around the outside and in between. I put my chocolate chip punched snowflake in the upper left, with a 1/4" punch of old olive in the center. Then I just needed to figure out where to put a sentiment, and after considering lots of options, I cut out chocolate chip letters with the Timeless Type dies to spell "joy" down the right side.

This is a great Christmas card for mailing because it's totally flat - you could always pop the layers up on dimensionals, add brads or ribbon, etc., if you wanted to dress it up. I think I'll keep this design in my back pocket in case I need to crank out some last-minute cards this year. (What, me wait to the last minute? No way...)

Thanks for visiting and don't forget to leave a comment - there is surprise Christmas blog candy hidden somewhere during my Twelve Days of Christmas challenge and you never know where it might turn up!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori--this is a SUPER card---love the layout and the snowflake really finishes it off perfectly. Love that type too----I look forward to making this card at your Xmas Buffet!!!

Katherine said...

I love the Chocolate Chip, it goes great with almost any color!

Unknown said...

Great card. Love the layout.
Sharon L

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

I am just loving the 12 days of Christmas cards, Lori. i can't wait to see how you are going to incorporate 11 and 12!! these three trees are so cute!!!

Kathy Mc said...

Your finishing touches really add to the beauty of this card. Way to go!

scrappingnana said...

Great card. I love the color combo.
JoAnn