Friday, July 18, 2008

Post-It Note holder tutorial

OK, here's the tutorial I promised you earlier in the week. I made some post-it holders for Christmas last year, but I wasn't entirely happy with them. So after seeing Jen's version with a Velcro closure and Julie's version with a pen holder, I decided to combine the two into my own version. They are still surprisingly easy to make and I think super cute! I made mine with the new Bella Rose designer paper and coordinating cardstock in red riding hood red and kiwi kiss. This will be one of the ABC projects for my Stamping 102 class, although I think it will probably not look exactly like this one.

Disclaimer: I sized my holder to fit the mini gel pens that I bought at Staples. If you find different pens, you may need to adjust the measurements to fit.

Supplies:
9 1/2" x 3 3/4" cardstock sheet
Scor-Pal or other scoring tool (I highly recommend the Scor-Pal for this project)
3 3/4" x 3 3/8" piece of thin cardboard (the backing from the SU paper packs is perfect)
Two coordinating prints of patterned paper
Coordinating cardstock for layers (a scrap will probably do)
Sticky strip (1/4")
Velcro or magnetic closure (I used the magnetic closures by Basic Grey)
Mini pen
Post-it note 3x3 pad
Stamps, punches, embellishments as desired

Step 1. With the large cardstock panel lengthwise on your Scor-Pal, score at 1 3/4", 2 1/8", and 2 1/2". Here are more specific instructions on how I did this:

Score at 2 1/2".






















Turn the cardstock the other direction and put your score line at the 3/4" mark and score at the 1 1/2" mark.





















Move the outermost score line over 1/8" and score at the 1" mark.





















Step 2. With the unscored end of the cardstock to the left, align the edge of the cardstock with the 1/4" mark and score at the 3" and 3 1/2" marks. (If you're not using a Scor-Pal, you will score at 2 3/4" and 3 1/4" from this end.)
Photobucket

Step 3. With the set of three score lines at the top, fold over the first score line into a flap.
















Step 4. Open that flap and then fold on the third score line.
















Step 5. The middle score line is going to fold the opposite way so that you get an M shape.
















Step 6. Open the outer folds back up and hold the cardstock so that the middle score line is at the top, still folded. Cut a slit 1" from each edge, just to the score lines, cutting through both layers.
















Step 7. Place the cardstock on your work surface so that the part you just cut forms a "mountain" in the center and put sticky strip on the bottom side of the mountain to the outside of both slits.
















Step 8. Remove the tape backing and fold the taped portions down and the cut portion up to make the pen loop.
















Step 9. Adhere cardboard to the center of the inside of the holder.
Photobucket

Step 10. Cover cardboard with patterned paper cut to 3 3/4" x 3 3/8".
Photobucket

Step 11. Cover inside flaps with contrasting paper cut to 3 5/8" x 1 5/8" and 3 5/8" x 2 5/8". (I didn't get a photo of this but you can see it further down when I add the post-it notes.)

Step 12. Cover outer flaps with cardstock and paper of your choice. (I actually meant not to use the same print so many times - if I were doing it over I'd make the inside and outside flaps in contrasting prints.) The size of my layers are:
cardstock: 3 5/8" x 1 1/2" and 3 5/8" x 2 1/2"
paper: 3 1/2" x 1 3/8" and 3 1/2" x 2 3/8"





















Step 13. Attach post-it pad to inside; I like to use sticky strip for this. I also slide in the pen at this stage so that when I attach the closure, I know where it needs to go.





















Step 14. Attach closure. If you are not going to decorate the front, you can attach it to the flaps. Or you can attach it to whatever you add to the front; see Jen's blog link above for this method. I attached it to the flaps but really should have done it Jen's way. Oops! Well, now you can see both.





















Step 15. Decorate the front as you wish. For mine I used the small flower from Live Your Dream - side note, doesn't this just about match this paper perfectly? I am beside myself with the possibility that this set will be in the new catalog - colored with red riding hood red and kiwi kiss and a blender pen, and a stamp from Warm Words in red riding hood red. I made the scallops with the new scallop edge punch - love it!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute project! I just invested in a Scor-Pal, so I will definitely try one of these. TFS.

Ladette said...

Very cute, thanks for fixing the pics!!

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

This is darling! Thank you so much for sharing!