Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Inspiration Challenge #15: Adria quilt
I decided to postpone the inspiration piece I found in my home and chose instead this quilt and sham set from Garnet Hill. Only then did I remember we just did bedding two weeks ago - oops! Well, I hope you'll play anyway. If you click here you can zoom in on Garnet Hill's photo, or even buy it for yourself!
I loved these colors together - I've used light blue and brown together a lot, but never a darker blue and brown, so I wanted to give it a try. The two cardstock colors are blue bayou and chocolate chip, and to reproduce the gorgeous baroque print I used night of navy ink. The stamp set featured here is One of a Kind. I thought the large flower stamp would make a pretty allover pattern since it's fairly bold and would show up well.
I liked how the quilt has two different patterns of brown fabric, so using white craft ink, I stamped a background first with my polka dot background stamp and then used the argyle lines from the retired Looks Like Spring set to make another background. The argyle one is a smaller stamp so I decided to use it as an accent rather than the allover background.
After I'd stamped all those navy flowers I wasn't sure what to do with them - and then I hit on the idea of using the sentiment from One of a Kind and making one of the flowers stand out from the rest. I cut out each of the two layers from an extra stamped image, then used the three-flower stamp and coordinating punch to make the rest of the layers. So that the flower would stand out even more, I went over the outer edges of each flower with my Sakura clear glitter pen. I used a pewter vintage brad to hold it all together and attached it with foam tape.
The rest came together fairly quickly. I cut a thin border of the argyle pattern, added white organdy ribbon, and attached at the bottom of the flower panel. The sentiment was stamped in navy and cut out, then mounted over the ribbon. I stamped "MOM" with one of my clear My Sentiments Exactly alphabet sets, then used two Marvy scalloped rectangle punches for the "frame" and added two more brads to tie it in with the flower. That is also mounted on foam tape. It all went onto a whisper white card.
This week's keyword for the challenge is DSIC15 if you want to upload on SCS. I'd love to see what you come up with!
In other news, I had 96 eBay auctions close yesterday, and I sold 77 of the items! I'm thrilled with how well that went since I've been without freelance work for a couple weeks and the money will come in handy. So my next task is to get all of those packages sent out. If I'm not posting for a couple days, you'll know why!