Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I've been enabled

When I saw Jen del Muro's card sketch sample on Saturday, I fell in love with the shimmery flowers she used. And I bet I'm not alone! I just had to go to Michael's this morning and see what they were all about.

Here's what they look like. They are in the bridal section and they're actually table confetti. For $5 you get this whole pail - plus, wouldn't the pail itself be a cute altering project? They come in white and ivory, and I think they are just gorgeous and fun.

Once I had them, I knew they were destined for today's SCS color challenge. What an amazing combo today: blush blossom, groovy guava, and basic grey. I love it! I think I'll have to do another card this afternoon.

The flowers were the first thing I did, since I didn't know if they would require drying time. For the guava flowers I colored them with a blender pen and reinker, and for the blush flowers I used a sponge dauber and my ink pad. I'll have to play around more to know if the color took better with the blender pen, or if the blush is just so light that it's more subtle. For the centers, I used tiny acrylic gems from the floral section. I think Jen also used these on her blog recently. They were on clearance, woo hoo! So I got all the colors they had, clear, pink, and turquoise. You will be seeing these again, for sure! I punched out 1/4" circles from the paisley groovy guava designer paper, glued to the back with two-way glue, and then glued the bauble to the flower with Tombow Mono Multi adhesive. I'm not sure you can actually tell that it's paper under the acrylic, but at least then I could use a glue that dries clear on top of the paper and the Tombow on the bottom.

The rest of the card was super quick. The card base is actually Bazzill textured cardstock because (gasp!) I ran out of blush blossom. I only had one tiny scrap left! But this color is exactly the same. I cut a panel of basic gray cardstock and scalloped the bottom edge with my corner rounder punch. Then I adhered a panel of flowered guava paper and tied on some basic gray taffeta ribbon.

The sentiment is from Wordsworth and is stamped in basic gray on guava cardstock. I used my Marvy punches to punch out the sentiment and the scalloped blush blossom oval. Then I adhered it to the card and put the flowers on with dimensionals. Super quick and I think super cute!

Tip of the Day: The acrylic baubles vary in how clear they are the whole way through. Some have a very visible bubble in the center that affected how the paper looked behind them. So I dug through until I found 5 that were as clear as possible.

No comments: