Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Inspiration Challenge #32: Butterfly print

I had an oops moment - it's time for another challenge already and I hadn't really thought about it at all! After last Saturday's fabulous IC on SCS, I had kinda had my fill of room challenges and fall colors... and that's what I was finding in a lot of the pieces I've gathered recently. So I went back to some images I had saved since I started these challenges and chose one of those.

This butterfly print apparently came from the Plow & Hearth catalog, although it doesn't appear on their site now. I remember that it caught my eye right away - I loved the colors, of course, and the gorgeous baroque scrollwork. I hope you'll forgive me for not using butterflies on my card - I'm not much into them as a stamper, but I know lots of you out there are, so pull 'em out! :)

I was going to reach for my baja breeze again, but then I thought, why not go back and use some soft sky? I didn't hoard a whole lot of last year's colors but I do have a fair amount of that one and I still love it. For something new I went with the Beautiful Borders set and the Bella Toile background. Today's SCS sketch challenge was perfect for the layout since the blocks look a lot like the inspiration piece.

I first stamped the border for the bottom panel in blue bayou on soft sky cardstock.
Next I stamped the toile background in chocolate chip on very vanilla cardstock. I cut these to size to fit on a chocolate chip card base so that I could allow the card to serve as the "layer" for the panels. To finish off the background I cut a 1 3/4" square of striped soft sky paper and wheeled the Baroque Border onto close to cocoa with chocolate chip ink. Once these were all done I sponged all the edges with chocolate chip.

For my focal panel, which is a little shorter and wider than the sketch, I first stamped the swirl from Baroque Motifs with soft sky ink on soft sky cardstock. Then I stamped the silhouette image (from Stampers Anonymous) in chocolate chip over the swirl. I layered this onto a blue bayou panel, and both have the edges sponged as before.

Finally, I added some retired copper Hodgepodge Hardware: three brads and the tag hanger (is that what they're called?) with a bit of chocolate chip taffeta ribbon. I made my own sentiment from a Judy Melvin clear alphabet set, stamped in blue bayou, and oval punched, then layered over a punched chocolate chip designer label. Of course I sponged those edges, too.

This was a really fun card to make - I am loving these new stamps and I enjoyed revisiting some retired colors. Come play along in the challenge and don't forget to leave a comment here with a link to your card. SCS keyword this week is DSIC32. Have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

I love how your card turned - such a great representation of your inspiration piece. I laughed when I saw your inspiration, as I just purchased that picture for my oldest DD's bedroom, which I've now turned into the guest bedroom/my craft room (DD is married now). I guess I'll have to try my hand at trying to come up with something for your Inspiration Challenge! Thanks for sharing!

Darlene said...

This is gorgeous!!! LOVE that framed art from Plow & Hearth ... they have such great stuff!!