Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Inspiration Challenge #9: Pier 1 flyer


When I came across this flyer from Pier 1 in last Sunday's newspaper, I think I gasped. I knew I needed to use it for this week's challenge.

But you know how sometimes you have a great idea and you just can't make it work out like you envisioned? I tried two cards for this and I don't love either one. I just couldn't make the cards come out like the picture in my head. But I hope you'll play along - I'd love to see what you come up with! Here's a keyword for SCS: DSIC9

The first card started out fine. I stamped the gorgeous Pretty Petals background in summer sun. Then I stamped the butterflies (stamp by Inkadinkado) in basic black on a whisper white scrap and colored with my blender pen and brilliant blue, bashful blue, basic black and summer sun ink pads. On the yellow butterfly I added some white dots with a gel pen. I cut out the wings and bodies, then stamped the butterflies in black again directly on the background and mounted the colored ones with dimensionals. Since they were colored they curled up a little on their own, which I think looks cool!

This is when I got stuck. I knew I wanted a brilliant blue panel behind it and it seemed to need something in that lower right corner, but I just couldn't make anything look right. In the end I stamped a Hero Arts sentiment, colored with Tombow markers so I could do the flower in lighter blue, and punched out with my circle and scallop punches. I added a bit of bashful blue taffeta ribbon to try to dress it up a bit.

The second card was a CASE of my own card I did a few weeks ago for the featured stamper challenge. I stamped the butterfly from Priceless in bashful blue on bashful blue cardstock, stamping off once first. I used my So Swirly wheel and rolled over my summer sun inkpad - Beate does this all the time and I admit, I was skeptical, but hallelujah, it really works! I should have known not to doubt her. I cut the scallop panel out of brilliant blue with my slit punch. I sponged the edges in brilliant blue, added the sentiment from All Holidays, and then mounted another butterfly in brilliant blue with dimensionals. I used my 1 3/8" SU circle punch and then two Marvy punches. The ribbon is again the bashful blue taffeta. I like this one better than the first, but still... somehow it wasn't what I envisioned. Oh well!

No comments: