Friday, February 1, 2008

Mass production mode

I mentioned in an earlier post how I like to cut up SU's Simply Scrappin' kits to make cards. I originally got the idea from SCS (click here) but have since modified it somewhat. I like to put together sets of six coordinating birthday, thank you, and/or friendship cards, and they have sold fairly well for me. At my upcoming fair I'll also be trying emergency card kits, where I will probably combine six cards from different kits for various occasions.

When I tackle these kits, I don't do a 6x6 scrapbook page as Amanda does. I just cut each cardstock and paper sheet into 6 card fronts (5 1/4" x 4") and 3 smaller panels (1 1/2" x 4"). Then I can mix and match the different solids and prints. I also cut the border strips into a mix of 4" and 5 1/4" lengths for both horizontal and vertical cards. I like to use these strips to dress up some of the solid card fronts. In the end I have at least 84 card fronts, and if I add some extra cardstock from my stash I can often squeeze out a few more! But I have to add in all honesty that usually I can't quite get to the end of the project before I have to go do something else. I know I have quite a few unfinished card fronts floating around...

I'm still working my way through these and finishing them off, but I thought I would share some of my favorites. These are from the retired hostess kit Creative License.

I also took the same basic principle and applied it to my retired Porcelain Prints paper, which I keep meaning to use up! (One of these deviates from the usual style of the kit cards, but I thought I'd show it anyway because I just like it.)

As if this weren't enough, I just got three more kits this week - they are cut up but I've hardly done more than that. Just as a side note, it takes me about half an hour to do all the cutting, so that's not bad - but sometimes deciding how to put the pieces together takes me quite a while!

I have to say that this process is a whole lot harder when you venture away from the SU world. I had seen the Heidi Grace Maple Crest collection at JoAnn's and just had to have it... but it was only when I got home that I realized, now I have to match cardstock to this. And ink. And ribbon. I still love these papers but it was so much more time consuming working without all the coordinating products at my fingertips. So my line as a demo would have to be... you get all this great stuff that coordinates, for a great price, and you can match it up with any number of stamp sets. You can't lose with the SU kits! ;)

TIP OF THE DAY: When doing the cutting and assembly of your SU kit cards, check before you cut that the annoying little copyright imprint on your printed paper will be hidden under one of the smaller panels when your cards are put together. I like to position that corner at the bottom left and make my first cut at the 5 1/4" mark, so that I know it will be hidden. I've figured this out the hard way!

TIP #2: I find it helpful to have as many punches as possible, and stamps that fit in them, at the ready when I'm finishing these. That way the assembly comes together much more quickly!

No comments: