Saturday, February 2, 2008

My first SCS challenge this week!

I can't believe today was the first day I had time to do the SCS challenge all week. I've been working hard on craft fair stuff. But today's challenge was too wonderful to pass up. The inspiration was a Swedish living room seen here.

My eye was first drawn to the medallion-like rug - and if you look at the challenge gallery (which is full of beautiful cards - wish I had time to comment today) you'll see I wasn't the only one! I chose my new One of a Kind set and used the flowers to make the medallion, which is in soft sky ink on very vanilla cardstock. I mounted over wide ivory organdy ribbon on a strip of soft sky with distressed edges.

The background paper is from the Rose Cottage scrap kit - I assembled a bunch of fronts last night but still had some that I hadn't done anything with. I really love this soft print. When it came time to do the sentiment, I knew that I wanted to stamp right onto the background, but I had intended to only use vanilla and soft sky. In the end I pulled out my favorite blue bayou for the sentiment and added another panel to balance out that color. It seems I can't help reaching for these two colors together! If I'd known I was going to use the darker color I would have layered a blue bayou strip behind the soft sky, but oh well. This was pretty easy so I may make more of this. To finish off the card I put a few more punched flowers in the lower corner and assembled it all on a vanilla card.

As a side note, I know that this stamp set isn't available right now. There are problems aligning the stamp position with the coordinating Boho Blossoms punch. I must have ordered both of these right before they pulled the stamps because I just got them on Wednesday. When I mounted the stamp, I lined up the rubber with the punch, and then applied the block over the rubber while still inside the punch. Then I just had to make the label match up to the mounting. It looks crooked, but it works!

No comments: