Friday, February 29, 2008
Quick and dirty
That's what I should call the card I made for today's limited supplies challenge on SCS! I didn't have much time at all but really wanted to get a card done because it was a really fun one.
The challenge was to use one flower stamp only (plus sentiment if desired) - no patterned paper, no background stamps. I have lots of flower stamps, so I picked this one from Garden Silhouettes and thought it would look nice with generation stamping. I feel sure I've seen someone else (or maybe many someones) do this with this stamp, but of course I couldn't find it when I was in a rush this morning. So if I accidentally CASEd you, let me know!
Once I picked the stamp I thought about colors... I always jump to green and blue but thought something else might be good. Then my eye happened to land on the Theatre ribbon originals that I bought back when I placed my first demo order - I've never used it till today. The chocolate chip satin ribbon is just so yummy and I thought that would be perfect. I paired it with bashful blue, which is I guess a trendy combo but I always love it.
First I took very vanilla and the blue ink and generation stamped the flowers several times. Then I inked the stamp in chocolate chip and made one focal flower image. Next I did more generation stamping, this time in chocolate chip, on bashful blue cardstock for the background. I stamped off once on a scrap before stamping on the blue so that it would be lighter. Once I cut it to size I really dirtied the edges up with chocolate chip ink and a paper towel, and then mounted it on a chocolate chip panel.
For the sentiment I chose the "warm wishes" from Hugs & Wishes. Oh, how it bugs me that it didn't stamp straight. I would have started over if I'd had the time. But I was in such a rush that I just had to let it go! Perfectionism is a nasty curse.
The size of the image meant this would be a portrait (vertical) card. I tore out the oval shape and again dirtied up the edges.
The next trick was to figure out where to put the gorgeous ribbon. I tried several different things but this worked the best. I also broke out my new Pebbles ribbon iron. What a nifty little tool - it's like a hair straightener for ribbon. Just be sure you preheat it enough and get the ribbon really centered inside the iron, and it'll probably take a few swipes to get all the creases out.
To finish the card off I mounted the torn panel onto the background with foam tape, and did the same when I mounted it onto the vanilla card. This was such a fun challenge and something that I'm sure I'll be trying again with some other flower stamps.