Wednesday, February 13, 2008

This wasn't quite what I expected...

The craft fair today was nearly a bust! I couldn't believe it, after how hard I worked getting ready the last two weeks. The weather overnight was snow then sleet and then lots of rain (which has now resulted in water in our basement for the first time, ugh) so a lot of schools were closed, plus at this company the work is very flexible and lots of employees have the option of working at home. I can't blame them, since I would probably do the same, but man! I'm trying to look on the bright side, since (1) most of my Valentine stuff can be saved for another year, and the non-Valentine stuff for the May fair (and then snow shouldn't be a problem, I hope!) and (2) since the cost was a percentage of sales, it hardly cost me anything to be there. And one person seemed like a potential SU customer, and besides, getting my name out is never a bad thing.

Just for fun I thought I'd quickly share a few of the non-card projects I was working on, since I never had time before. (Incidentally, none of these sold at all today!) These mailboxes were one of my favorite things I made. These are the mailboxes from the Target $1 spot. Inside each one is a little stuffed dog also from the $1 spot - they came in a pair, one pink and one white, so I just separated them and made mailboxes to match - and then the matching 3x3 card and a tiny bag of M&M's. The brown and pink papers are by Pebbles - I found them on our trip in that huge Memphis store and I can't find them anywhere else - love them! The black paper with white dots is Doodlebug and the white with black is Imaginisce. I picked up the brown ribbon and the black with white dots at JoAnn's - why does SU not have chocolate chip narrow grosgrain? Stamps by Stampendous and My Sentiments Exactly.

One of the blogs I've recently started following is Dannie's Designs. She has the cutest stuff! I got the idea for these heart tins from her blog. The sides are wrapped with paper attached with sticky tape, and ribbon tied around the top. I loved using the new rub-ons on the tops! I also love the one on the top left. To get the heart, I took one tin that was messed up - silly me, I tried to use a non-SU rub-on and it didn't work! - and cut out the plastic in the lid, then traced the shape and cut out before stamping. I used the One of a Kind set and my Boho Blossoms punch. I stamped the flowers with chocolate chip on the solid pink paper from Berry Bliss and then punched out.

Here's my last project for today - not a Valentine's project, but still really cute! This was also shown on Dannie's blog. No stamping here - just some of our gorgeous SU papers. Sorry this isn't a better photo but I was in a hurry! I got plain 4" coasters from Stamponthis.com, covered with Mod Podge, then applied a 4" square of paper (with corners rounded). I picked a Post-It Note pad that went with the paper, then used Mod Podge to cover the medium-size binder clip in a coordinating paper and added a ribbon bow. I even managed to find tiny pens at Staples - they are mini gel pens and come in black and several colors. People seemed to think they were cute, so hopefully they will sell in May. We'll see!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow -- I love the use of coasters! I have over 200 coasters and was just thinking what should I do with them! LOL