Saturday, May 8, 2010

Heavy Metal Dad

Here's another card from the card buffet - and also for the latest challenge at Our Creative Corner. This week we're supposed to take inspiration from the official anniversary gifts from one particular year. Since this year will be my 10th anniversary, I chose that one. Among its themes are aluminum and blue sapphire, so I pulled those two aspects out and made a Father's Day card. The layout comes from a sketch Jen del Muro designed for Skipping Stones.

First I ran a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil through the Big Shot with the diamond-pattern texture plate. A couple tips for this technique: Cut your panel to size first, because if you try to cut it after you emboss it, you'll mess up your embossing. You'll also want to use some kind of adhesive other than a tape runner so that you don't have to press down on the foil. I used dimensionals on my card. The more you handle it, the less pristine it will look, but that will just make it look a little more aged and worn in.

The rest of the card is pretty simple. I chose pacific point for my blue and paired it with black and white. The stamps come from Wonderful Favorites. I added silver eyelets at the bottom and embellished the tag by drawing a black line on the inside edge of the white tag and adding a bit of black 1/4" grosgrain ribbon. I didn't think it would be *too* girly to use just a bit of ribbon, especially since it's black.

I hope you enjoyed this card - you should try the embossed foil technique if you haven't before. It's a fun look! Be sure you check out the rest of the amazing work from the OCC team, and have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Terrific card, Lori. Love the embossed aluminum panel. Great colors too. I'm sure your dad will really appreciate it!

Julie Leblanc said...

Love the embossing on 'silver' :-) Thanks for sharing!

LorettaL said...

I've not tried the embossed tin foil technique, but it looks like a gooder that I should give a go!

Wendy J. said...

Lori this is a great anniversary card! jk! It is a great card though! It'll be perfect next month! Love the colors and the touch of metal! Great job!

Diane Gilbert said...

Lori this card is awesome!! I love the aluminum look and the colors are fantastic together!! Great Father's Day card!!

Sarah Gough said...

I love your metal panel - so great for a guy card!