Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Inspiration Challenge #23: Filled Bouquet artwork


For today's challenge I chose this gorgeous Filled Bouquet artwork from Grandin Road. Sorry that my picture here is small; if you click the link you can zoom in for a better view.

For my colors I chose basic gray, river rock, vanilla, and bravo burgundy. I also used today's sketch challenge for the layout. I took a few liberties with the sketch, and some were unintentional... but I hope it's still close enough! Not sure why my photo came out so shadowed today - sorry about that as well.

I liked the grid format of the art, so I decided to try out the grid technique from SCS. I cut a 3.5" x 4 3/8" panel and scored it every 7/8" (yes, I had to use some math skills for this one) to make the squared grid. I used the Watercolor Vine jumbo wheel inked up with river rock for the leaves. The wheel seemed unaffected by the grid lines, so to make it show up more I inked the canvas background stamp in river rock, stamped off once, and then placed the stamp rubber side up on the table and put the cardstock face down on top, walking my fingers over the paper so the background would be uneven.

The outer matting on the artwork has some kind of pattern to it, so I took the small scroll stamp from Carte Postale and stamped second generation in river rock on the outside edge of a river rock card base. I used the same technique with bravo burgundy for the small strip that's below the grid. I covered the seam of the two panels with a strip of basic gray taffeta ribbon.

I colored the flowers from Close as a Memory with bravo burgundy and river rock (using the ink pad/reinker and blender pen). Then I punched out two scalloped squares with my Marvy punches and attached to the panels with foam tape. To make the corners match the scallops, I used a Marvy corner punch and then matted to a layer of basic gray cardstock with vintage brads in the corners. I finished off with a sentiment from Lots of Thoughts stamped in basic gray.

I'd love to see what you do with today's challenge, so come play along! The keyword for SCS upload this week is DSIC23. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: