Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sing a happy working song!

Today's inspiration challenge over at SCS really made me think. I started thinking on it late last night and I didn't finish until after lunch today! We were supposed to make a card inspired by a movie dress. I looked at a whole bunch - a lot of the ones that I thought of, I couldn't find a good photo of them, or they just didn't inspire me.

I really wanted to play so I posed the question to some friends. They gave me great suggestions, but one just jumped out at me, and I couldn't believe I didn't think of it myself. I think I must have mentioned back at Christmastime how much I loved the movie Enchanted. It just swept me away into such a fun fantasy world. In one scene Giselle makes a beautiful dress out of curtains, and that's the dress I chose. It really made a wonderful inspiration piece!

I picked the colors tempting turquoise, pretty in pink, old olive, and very vanilla. For my layout I used Jen's Sketch for You to Try from today - a fun one!

First I stamped the flowers from Live Your Dream on turquoise cardstock. I colored the leaves and stems with an olive marker and pretty in pink on the petals; even though the pink wouldn't show, it helped me align my cutouts. I stamped the flower again on vanilla cardstock in pretty in pink, and then cut out all those petals. Worth the effort, I think! I glued them on with two-way glue and then layered the panel onto olive cardstock.

I didn't stamp on any of the other layers, which is unusual for me. Behind the flower I put a panel of pink and olive, and then on the left side I took a strip of olive cardstock and mounted it to a scalloped-edge turquoise piece. That gave me a place to add the vanilla taffeta ribbon - Giselle's dress has such a beautiful bow and this is nowhere close, but still pretty. Jen's two dots on the sketch gave me pause, but I ended up stamping three butterflies from Live Your Dream, cutting them out, and mounting them - two about where the dots are, and one over the flowers. The card base is vanilla stamped with the Stitched background in turquoise.

When I laid all this out, I suddenly realized - I had no sentiment. I rarely make a card without one - why is that? One of those things that I'm particular about, I guess. I took a gamble and I think it paid off. I inked the "love" stamp from Wonderful Words in olive and with a deep breath and fingers crossed, stamped it over the flower stems. Thankfully, this was one of those times where everything worked out OK!

I am in such a good mood now... Stamping and making this card make me want to sing a happy working song, and I think I'm going to have a hard time going to sleep!

1 comment:

Patsy said...

Great card. I love the color combination.