Friday, May 23, 2008

No stamping today

Well, I didn't make it to the stamping table today. It was a kid-focused day, which included some time at the park on what was a pretty nice morning. Sarah just loves the swings. She would do that all day, and I was constantly amazed at how she would let me push her higher and higher, and she loved every second of it. Ben won't go near the swings, so I think I know which kid inherited Daddy's fear of heights!

I haven't posted a personal or family update in a while. There is not a whole lot to tell. I really did enjoy my trip to Tallahassee last weekend. What a joy to reconnect with people I hadn't seen in a very long time, and actually do some singing. I was stunned to find that during the concert I was able to sing with no jaw pain at all. Really, none. It made the performance an even more incredible experience - and gratifying in that I was given a solo at the Saturday rehearsal, with no warning that this was going to happen, and everyone seemed to think it went very well. So my resolve is that I need to figure out how to manage my TMJ issues so I can get back to singing. It was a blast to do early music again after a very long time away - at least I live in the right city to investigate if there are the right opportunities for someone like me.

The TMJ problem is not solved, though. A couple weeks ago my doctor said basically there is nothing more he can do for me. My problem seems to be stress-related. And the weekend away proved it, because as soon as I was on my way home, and even worse when I arrived home, my jaw was much more sore and tight. I noticed the difference immediately. So... I'm renewing my resolve to exercise, get enough sleep, practice my meditation, check out some yoga classes, and try to find out if there is any way to get my insurance to cover something like acupuncture, which is the alternative treatment that I have had recommended to me most often. Wish me luck... it feels like a long and winding road through a dark valley ahead, and right now I can't see the light at the end.

The kids are great - Ben is unbelievably only a couple weeks away from the end of his first year of preschool. I'm still not sure what we'll be doing all summer, but he'll be in pre-K in the fall for 3 mornings and Sarah will most likely be at a 2-year-old program those same mornings.

Sarah is just talking up a storm. She is starting to do more interactive communicating as opposed to just narrating the events around her. And she has some of the cutest Sarah-isms right now. My favorites:

"up-is-down" (upside-down) - which is something she loves to be, and she will even turn her stuffed animals upside-down when she's playing

"gooberries" (blueberries)

"rainbrella" (self-explanatory, right?)

And most recently she's been saying "I have the wake-ups" - for hiccups!

She definitely keeps a smile on our faces, and sometimes that's a really necessary thing. There is a lot going on the next few days for both Todd and me, so a little prayer or two for our sanity wouldn't hurt... but I'll be plugging away at my freelance work, and hopefully popping in with some stamping in the next few days as well!

No comments: