Tuesday, May 13, 2008

This is why I love doing challenges

The color challenge today was one that I never would have thought of on my own: soft sky, ruby red, and pumpkin pie. I love soft sky, obviously, but the others I don't reach for that often. So this really made me put my thinking cap on!

My first thought was that I have patterned paper in all of these colors. So I sat down with my stash and pulled a ruby red stripe from the Ginger Blossom pack, the pumpkin pie print from the Bali Breeze pack, and a dot print from the soft sky pack. I thought using three prints would fit well with Julee's Mojo Monday sketch for the week, which was also a great challenge. For extra fun I decided to flip it - there was a reason but it's irrelevant now, so I'll just move along...

I decided that since I had so much fun making a card with just rub-ons on Friday, I'd do it again! This time I used the Eastern Elegance set, since I'd chosen papers from the Asian-themed collections. Nothing is stamped here; I used a few different images, and the flower next to the sentiment is actually just a part of the original rub-on since I'd cut off the rest for another project.

I laid out the patterned paper pieces where I thought they should go, and then I hit on the idea of layering with black cardstock and using black embellishments. I figured it would tie in with the rub-ons and really make the colors pop, and I love the effect. For assembly, I cut a top-fold soft sky card. The ruby red panel has three black vintage brads. The pumpkin pie panel uses black grosgrain ribbon. The soft sky panel is mounted on dimensionals, as are the die-cut bloom and the three small red flower circles (punched out with the 1/2" punch).

This card fit my schedule perfectly today - not much time for creating, in other words! Thanks for visiting and I hope you'll come back tomorrow for what I think will be a great inspiration challenge. Don't miss it!

2 comments:

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

This is lovely! The colors with the black matting just pop. And those rubons are so classy! Thanks for playing. :)

jjcreations said...

I like this card, the colours are awesome and the black accents everything. Joan